There are two monuments to the 99th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on the Gettysburg battlefield. The original monument was first located at the Devil’s Den, and was moved to along Hancock Avenue. The new monument replaced the original monument at the Devil’s Den location and was dedicated in 1889. (Devil’s Den tour map)
The 99th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major John W. Moore. It brought 339 men to the field.
|Color Sergeant Harvey M. Munsell of Company A was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 2d and 3rd for “Gallant and courageous conduct as color bearer.” Munsell carried the colors of the 99th Pennsylvania in 13 engagements.|
|Attached to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Corps, Army of the Potomac|
Main monument to the 99th Pennsylvania Infantry at the Devil’s Den
The startlingly modern design of the monument incorporates among its abstract shapes both the diamond symbol of the 3rd Army Corps and the keystone symbol of Pennsylvania.
From the front of the monument at the Devil’s Den:
99th Pennsylvania Infantry
Fought on this line in the afternoon of July 2nd.
Present at Gettysburg 339 Officers and men.
Killed and died of wounds 1 officer and 24 men.
Wounded 4 officers and 70 men.
Captured or missing 11 men.
From the left side of the monument:
Recruited in Phila and Lancaster Counties.
Mustered in July 21 1861 to January 18 1862.
Re-enlisted January 1864,
Mustered out July 1 1865.
Total enrollment 2140
From the rear of the monument:
Killed and died of wounds 9 officers and 115 men
Died of disease & c 1 officer and 116 men
Wounded 27 officers and 337 men
Captured or missing 2 officers and 153 men
From the right side of the monument:
2nd Bull Run North Anna
White’s Ford Cold Harbor
Chancellorsville Strawberry Plains
Gettysburg Deep Bottom
Wapping Heights Poplar Springs
Auburn Boydton Road
Kelly’s Ford Hatcher’s Run
Mine Run Petersburg Watkins’ House
Wilderness Amelia Springs
Location of the main monument to the 99th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The main monument to the 99th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg about 40 yards east of Sickles Avenue as it leaves the Devil’s Den area. (39°47’32.5″N 77°14’32.2″W)
Original monument to the 99th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The original monument to the 99th Pennsylvania is now on Hancock Avenue. (Hancock Avenue Pt. 3 tour map) It was originally erected at the Devil’s Den and dedicated in 1886 by the regimental veterans association. When the state made funding available for Pennsylvania regimental monuments in 1889 it was decided to create a new monument on the Devil’s Den location, and the original monument was moved to the regiment’s secondary position on Hancock Avenue.
From the front of the Hancock Avenue monument:
99th Regt. Pa. Vols.
Army of the Potomac
From Sept. 1861 to July 1865.
2nd Brigade 1st Division 3rd Corps
From the right (south side) of the monument:
Present for duty 21 officers & 318 men.
Killed 1 officer & 17 men
Wounded 4 officers & 77 men
Missing 11 men
From the rear (east side) of the monument:
Organized At Phila. PA. July 26, 1861
Re-enlisted Feby. 1864
Mustered out July 2, 1865.
From the left (north) side of the monument:
Our fallen comrades
July 2, 3, 1863.
Erected by the 9th PA. Vet. Asso. and friends
Location of the original monument to the 99th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The Hancock Avenue monument to the 99th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue about 130 yards north of the Copse of Trees. (39°48’48.6″N 77°14’06.6″W)