In 1895 the War Department took over administration of the Gettysburg battlefield and started an improvement program that included laying out avenues, building observation towers, and setting up headquarters tablets. It was felt that for the battle to be understood the story told by the large number of Union monuments on the battlefield needed to be balanced with the role of the Confederates. Part of this program was the placement of a series of iron markers that showed the locations and activities of the 65 Confederate artillery batteries at Gettysburg.
The batteries were often known by a name as well as by their commander, so they are listed here both ways whenever possible, with listings also sorted by state. A master list of all Confederate artillery battery names for the Eastern Theater is on www.CivilWarintheEast.com.
Each Confederate artillery battery was assigned to an artillery battalion, which was the equivalent to a Union artillery brigade. One artillery battalion was assigned to each Confederate infantry division, and two battalions were assigned to each of the three Confederate corps as artillery reserves. Unlike the Union army, there was no artillery reserve at the army level. All Confederate artillery was under corps or division control.