The battery was originally commanded by Captain Abraham Hupp, who organized the battery after John Brown’s attack on Harpers Ferry. Captain Hupp returned home due to illness in October of 1862 and died of cancer in 1864, leaving Lt. Charles Beale Griffin in command.
From the Railroad Cut marker:
1st Virginia Artillery Hupp’s Battery
Salem Virginia Artillery
Two 3 Inch Rifles Two Napoleons
July 1. The Battery reached the field too late to participate in the engagement of the day.
July 2. Held in reserve near the W. M. Railroad cut.
July 3. The Rifle guns were in position near Fairfield Road. The Napoleons were placed at the railroad cut and remained until night but were not engaged.
July 4. At midnight began the march to Hagerstown.
Casualties not reported. Ammunition expended 154 rounds.
From the West Confederate Avenue marker:
July 1. Reached the field too late to take part in the battle.
July 2. Remained in reserve on this ridge north of the railroad.
July 3. The Rifles were moved to this position early in the morning and took part in the cannonade preceding Longstreet’s assault and continued firing for some time afterward. Withdrew at night to camp in rear.
July 4. The Napoleons occupied a position on this ridge south of the Railroad cut but did no firing. After nightfall they joined the Rifles and with them began the march to Hagerstown.
No losses reported. Ammunition expended 154 rounds.