The first of the Confederate monuments at Gettysburg battlefield was dedicated in 1884 to the 1st Maryland Battalion. It took years for the next Confederate monument to follow. Southern states were impoverished after the war. Gettysburg was a Union victory fought on Union soil, and the battlefield commission was controlled by Union veterans. They dictated rules that discouraged the meaningful placement of Confederate monuments at Gettysburg. An effort by the War Department after 1900 to mark the locations of Confederate regiments failed due to lack of participation and even active opposition by surviving Confederate veterans.
As time went on the importance of the Battle of Gettysburg was understood. A spirit of reconciliation brought some southern monuments to this northern field. Many of the veterans who strongly associated with their regiments had passed on by then, so efforts were concentrated in state monuments. Virginia was the first in 1917. The last Confederate state monument, that of Tennessee, was not dedicated until 1982. Maryland, whose monument is dedicated to its troops who fought on both sides, was erected in 1994.
See the Confederate State Monuments
A handful of Confederate unit monuments have been placed at Gettysburg. Over half have been erected since 1980.
The Monument to the Soldiers and Sailors of the Confederacy
honors all the Confederate fighting men in the Civil War.
The War Department failed in the early 1900s in its attempt to mark Confederate regiments at Gettysburg. But it did place almost 200 markers showing the location of the headquarters of every Confederate Artillery Battalion, Infantry Brigade, Division, and Corps, as well as every Confederate artillery battery.