The Rogers farm was just south of Gettysburg on the west side of Emmitsburg Road. (Emmitsburg Road at the Codori Farm tour map) The one story log farmhouse was torn down in the 1880’s. It was replaced by a two story frame building, which has since been removed. The site is marked by two large trees, a white picket fence and an iron War Department marker.
Peter Rogers, born in 1802, is said to have stayed in his house during the battle. His wife, Susan, born in 1797, took refuge east of the Round Tops. Susan’s 23 year old granddaughter, Josephine Miller, stayed behind with Peter. She baked bread for the men and cared for the many wounded in the cellar. Like other farms on Emmitsburg Road, the house was struck by several shells, and dead soldiers covered the ground.
In October of 1863 Josephine married William Slyder and moved to Miami County, Ohio. The 1st Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment dedicated its monument on the Rogers farm in July of 1886. They paid for a round trip train ticket for Josephine to return to Gettysburg as a guest of honor. She was presented with a gold badge as a “tribute of their gratitude for her kindly services,” and was given three cheers. The cast iron stove that Josephine used to bake the bread was still in the house, and the Massachusetts veterans brought it out beside their monument for photographs with Josephine.
Location of the Rogers House on the Gettysburg battlefield
The site of the Rogers house is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Emmitsburg Road at its intersection with Sickles Avenue. (39.808294° N, 77.244063°)