“First Virginia Artillery Battalion”
The monument to Dance’s Artillery Battalion, properly known as the First Virginia Artillery Battalion, is on the west side of Gettysburg on Seminary Avenue. (Tour map: Seminary Avenue)
The First Virginia Artillery Battalion was temporarily commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Willis A. Dance, a Virginia attorney from Powhattan County.
From the monument:
C. S. A.
Army of Northern Virginia
Ewell’s Corps Artillery Reserve
First Virginia Artillery
Cunningham’s Smith’s Watson’s Griffin’s
and Graham’s Batteries
Four 20 Pounder Parrotts
Four 10 Pounder Parrotts
Ten 3 Inch Rifles Two Napoleons
July 1. The Battalion reached the field in evening too late to take part in the battle.
July 2 & 3. The four first named batteries occupied positions at various points on this ridge. Graham’s Battery of 20 Pounder Parrotts served east of Rock Creek. All were actively engaged.
July 4. At nightfall began the march to Hagerstown.
Ammunition expended 1888 rounds.
Losses Killed 3 Wounded 1