The marker to the 1st North Carolina Artillery is southwest of Gettysburg on West Confederate Avenue. (Tour map: West Confederate Avenue – Part 5) It was erected on July 1, 1910.
The battery was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Basil C. Manly.
July 2. Took position here 3.30 P. M. and became actively engaged. At 5 P. M. advanced to Peach Orchard and continued firing until dark. Returned here after night.
July 3. The Napoleons remained here. The two rifles with the two rifles of Fraser’s Battery took position at 5 A. M. under CaPart Manly on crest beyond Emmitsburg Road north of Peach Orchard were engaged in the great cannonade and after Longstreet’s assault aided in checking pursuit. Continued firing at intervals until 7.30 P. M. Then resumed this position.
July 4. At 10 A. M. aided in checking an advance of three regiments. After night withdrew from the field.
Ammunition expended 1146 rounds.
Losses Killed 3 Wounded 4 Missing 4 Horses killed or disabled 20