The monument to Battery K, 1st New York Light Artillery is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue. (Hancock Avenue at The Angle tour map)
Captain Robert H. Fitzhugh commanded the battery at the Battle of Gettysburg. It brought 149 men to the field serving six 3″ Ordnance Rifles. The 11th New York Independent Battery was temporarily attached to Battery K in June, but has its own monument nearby. The combined batteries were assigned to the 4th Volunteer Brigade, Artillery Reserve.
The battery was in reserve until the last day of the battle. At the height of Pickett’s Charge it was ordered into line at the gallop. They took position near the stone wall where Confederate infantry was trying to cross and opened fire “with great deliberation and desired effect.” They fired 89 rounds: 57 percussion shell, 15 shrapnel, and 17 time shell, divided between counterbattery fire against Confederate artillery and attacking Confederate infantry. After the attack was repulsed battery remained in position until the morning of July 5th, when they rejoined the Artillery Reserve. Battery K lost seven men wounded and five horses.
From the front of the monument:
1st N. Y. Light Artillery
(11th New York Ind. Battery Attached)
From the rear of the monument:
Battery K, (Fitzhugh’s),
Held this position July 3rd 1863 and
assisted in repulsing Pickett’s Charge.
Casualties, wounded 7
Organized at Fort Plain, N.Y.
Mustered in Oct. 10th, 1861.
Mustered out June 20th, 1865.
Location of the monument to Battery K at Gettysburg
The monument is south of Gettysburg on Cemetery Hill, about 95 yards northeast of the National Cemetery gate on Baltimore Pike. (39°48’49.0″N 77°14’07.0″W)