The monument to the 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Corps is south of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill on the east side of Slocum Avenue. (North Culp’s Hill tour map)
The brigade arrived on the field on July 2nd after a long march from Maryland. On July 3rd it was detached from the Sixth Corps and sent to the support of the fighting on Culp’s Hill, then to the support of the Third Corps line on Cemetery Ridge during the bombardment preceding Pickett’s Charge.
From the monument
July 2. Arrived about 2 P. M. from Manchester Md. and late in the day moved to the northeast slope of Little Round Top and held in reserve bivouacking for the night near Taneytown Road in rear of Second Brigade.
July 3. Ordered to the left and at 8 A. M. to the right to the support of Second Division Twelfth Corps. Took position in rear of woods on Culp’s Hill beyond which action was progressing and was engaged under command of Brig. Gen. J. W. Geary from 9 until 11 A. M. when the original line of the Twelfth Corps was regained. At 3 P. M. returned and under terrific fire of artillery was ordered by Major Gen. G. G. Meade to remain in rear of Third Corps and to report to Major Gen. J. Newton. At 7 P. M. moved half a mile to the right in reserve and remained during the night. Rejoined the Division the next morning.
Casualties Killed 1 Officer 14 Men Wounded 3 Officers 53 Men Captured or Missing 3 Men Total 74
Brigadier General Alexander Shaler
Brigadier General Alexander Shaler commanded the brigade at the Battle of Gettysburg. Shaler was the son of a Connecticut ship captain who settled in New York City. He became active as a militia officer, and at the start of the war was major of the 7th New York Militia Regiment.
The 7th went to Washington DC in April of 1861 for three months service. After the 7th New York mustered out Shaler became lieutenant colonel of the 65th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The regiment fought in the Peninsula Campaign. Shaler was promoted to colonel in July of 1862. The regiment was in reserve at Antietam and not engaged at Fredericksburg.
Shaler took command of the brigade as senior colonel in March of 1863. In May at the Second Battle of Fredericksburg he led the brigade in the successful storming of Marye’s Heights, for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor. He was promoted to brigadier general in May.
Shaler commanded the Johnson’s Island prisoner camp in Ohio in the winter of 1864. He returned to the Army of the Potomac for the Overland Campaign. Shaler was captured at the Battle of the Wilderness. He spent the summer of 1864 in Libby Prison and as a human shield in Charleston, South Carolina. After he was exchanged Shaler served in the Department of the Gulf and in Arkansas.
Location of the monument
The monument is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill. It is on the west side of Slocum Avenue about 270 feet north of the intersection with Williams Avenue. (39°49’04.2″N 77°13’10.9″W)