The 82nd Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Issac C. Bassett. It brought 320 men to the field, losing six wounded. The regiment reached the battlefield on the afternoon of July 2 after marching from Manchester, Maryland and took position in reserve behind Little Round Top. On July 3 it was moved to Culp’s Hill at the site of the monument.
|Attached to the 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
Marched from near Little Round Top
and occupied the works in front
at 11:30 a.m. relieving
From the rear of the monument:
Yorktown, Fair Oaks, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Marye’s Heights, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Rappahannock Station, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Totopotomoy, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Fort Stevens, Winchester, Dabney’s Mills, Petersburg (Fort Fisher), Petersburg (assault), Sailor’s Creek, Appomattox.
Mustered in Sept. 13, 1861
Re-enlisted Dec. 20, 1863
Mustered out July 31, 1865
See more on the history of the 82nd Pennsylvania Volunteers in the Civil War
Location of the monument to the 82nd Pennsylvania
The monument to the 82nd Pennsylvania Infantry is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill, on the west side of Slocum Avenue about 100 yards north of the intersection with Williams Avenue. (39°49’04.4″N 77°13’10.8″W)