The monument to the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Cavalry Corps is south of Gettysburg on Pleasonton Avenue. (Pleasonton Avenue tour map) The brigade played an important part in the campaign but was not at Gettysburg. Several units like this were given a place north of Pleasonton Avenue for their monuments.
From the monument
Participated in the Gettysburg Campaign with the Division until it arrived at Hanover Junction Pa.
June 30. The Commander of the Division ordered the Brigade to Manchester and all roads were held by pickets until the afternoon of the 3d.
July 3. Orders were received to go via Westminster to Emmitsburg to take possession of that place.
July 4. Moved to Westminster and received supplies and marched to Emmitsburg arriving at noon.
Pursuant to orders the Brigade joined Third Division Cavalry Corps.
Colonel Pennock Huey
Colonel Pennock Huey commanded the brigade during the Gettysburg campaign. Huey was a merchant from Chester County, Pennsylvania before the war. He became a captain in the 8th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry Regiment in September of 1861. He was promoted to major in January of 1862 and took command of the regiment when Colonel Gregg was promoted to brigadier general in November of 1862. At Chancellorsville he commanded the regiment in its saber charge during Jackson’s flank attack. Colonel Huey was promoted to colonel in June and temporarily took command of the brigade as senior colonel.
The brigade was broken up in August and Huey returned to regimental command. He was captured in June of 1864 at the Battle of St. Mary’s Church, and was a prisoner in South Carolina until December. After he was exchanged he returned to command of the regiment until the end of the war.
Location of the monument
The monument is on the north side of Pleasonton Avenue at its intersection with Humphreys Avenue. It is just north of the State of Pennsylvania monument. (39°48’29.7″N 77°14’04.7″W)