The monument to the 2nd Division, Cavalry Corps is east of Gettysburg on the East Cavalry Field. (East Cavalry Battlefield – south end tour map)
A monument which marks where the 2nd Division was the extreme right flank of the Army of the Potomac at Gettysburg is a short distance away on Low Dutch Road.
From the monument
July 2. Gen. Gregg with two Brigades left Hanover and took position about noon at the junction of the Hanover Road with the Low Dutch Road First Brigade on the right Third on the left connecting with the infantry pickets (the Second Brigade having been sent to Westminster). Took and held Brinkerhoff Ridge after a sharp skirmish with the 2d Virginia Infantry About 10 P. M. the two Brigades withdrew and bivouacked for the night on the Baltimore Pike a mile East of Rock Creek Bridge.
July 3. Took position with the right on Hanover Road. The Second Brigade Third Cavalry Division on the right. Gen. Custer having received an order from Gen. Pleasonton to rejoin his Division was relieved about 2 P. M. by the First Brigade. A large force of Confederate Cavalry under Gen. Stuart screened from view by woods having been discovered Gen. Gregg ordered Custer to remain in support of McIntosh until Confederate Cavalry could be driven back. Custer and McIntosh and the Batteries of Randol and Pennington were soon hotly engaged with the Confederate Cavalry and Artillery. About 3 P. M. Stuart made a charge with his reserves under Hampton and Fitzhugh Lee which was repulsed.This closed operations on the field.
Casualties Killed 6 Men Wounded 7 Officers 31 Men Captured or Missing 1 Officer 11 Men Total 56
Brigadier General David McM. Gregg
Brigadier General David McM. Gregg commanded the division at the Battle of Gettysburg. Gregg (West Point Class of 1855) was a career Army officer from Pennsylvania.
Location of the monument
The monument is on the East Cavalry Battlefield on the south side of Gregg Avenue.