The 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry was commanded during the Gettysburg Campaign by Captain William A. Corrie. It took 391 men into the campaign.
About the monument to the 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry
Why is there a tree trunk underneath the horse? Because it holds up the weight of the stone horse and rider.
The 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry is the only equestrian monument on the battlefield with a horse that is both freestanding and made of stone. Other monuments with stone horses are carved as a bas-relief into a supporting wall. The legs of metal statues can bear the entire weight – the four and a half ton statue of General Reynolds is perfectly balanced on only two legs.
But the freestanding stone horse and rider of the 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry needed a little help to stay up, so the sculptor added a supportive tree stump.
Although the regiment was heavily involved with the Gettysburg Campaign it wasn’t at the battle itself, having been ordered to guard the supply and ammunition trains at Manchester, Maryland. Its monument is located along Pleasonton Avenue along with a number of other units who were in a similar situation.
From the monument:
8th Penna. Cavalry
2nd Brigade 2nd Division Cavalry Corps
Recruited in Phila., Bucks, Lycoming, & Luzerne Counties
Mustered in Aug. – Oct. 1861 Reenlisted Dec. 31st 1863
Mustered out July 24th 1865.
With the Army of the Potomac from Manassas to Appomattox
135 Battles and Skirmishes
This regiment detached with the 2nd Corps, covered the rear of
the army on the march from Virginia. At Frederick rejoined the
Cavalry Corps and with Gregg’s Division moved in the advance to
Gettysburg July 1st, moved hastily to Manchester to protect trains
July 4th joined in pursuit of the enemy participating in the
night attack at Monterey Pass and the many other cavalry
engagements until the enemy retreated into Virginia.
Location of the monument to the 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on the north side of Pleasonton Avenue at its intersection with Humphreys Avenue, just north of the State of Pennsylvania Monument. (39°48’30.1″N 77°14’04.7″W)