The monument is topped with an interesting geometric shape formed of the diamond symbol of the Union Third Army Corps.
The 84th Pennsylvania was commanded during the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Milton Opp. It mustered 240 men and suffered no casualties, being detailed as guards for the wagon trains during the battle.
From the top of the front of the monument:
84th Penna Infantry
From the text on the lower front of the monument:
July 1. The regiment was on duty guarding the division wagon trains. Moved with the column on the road from Taneytown to Emmitsburg and on the opening of the battle was ordered with the train to Westminster Md. where it arrived July 2d at 7 a.m. and picketed the roads near the wagon parks until the close of the battle.
1st Brig. 2d Div. 3rd Corps.
From the rear of the monument:
Recruited in the counties of Blair, Lycoming, Clearfield, Dauphin, Columbia, Cameron, Westmoreland, Huntingdon, Philadelphia, Nontour and Cumberland.
Mustered in December 23, 1861.
Re-enlisted January 1, 1884.
Consolidated with 57th Penna.
Infantry January 13, 1865 and
composed of the four left companies
until muster-out June 29, 1865.
Total enrollment 1310.
Killed and died of wounds 6 officers 122 men.
Died of disease and other causes 1 officer 101 men.
Wounded 19 officers 251 men.
Captured or missing 9 officers 241 men.
Total 35 officers 715 men.
Winchester March 28, 1862
2d Bull Run,
Poplar Spring Church
Location of the monument to the 84th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 84th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg on the south side of Pleasonton Avenue, about 60 yards west of Humphreys Avenue. (39°48’29.6″N 77°14’07.2″W)