The monument to the 57th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Emmitsburg Road. (Emmitsburg Road & North Sickles Avenue tour map)
The monument was erected in 1888 by the State of Pennsylvania. On its front is the diamond that is the symbol of the Union 3rd Army Corps, just above a bronze tablet of the Coat of Arms of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The regiment reenlisted at the end of 1863, earning the right to be called “Veteran Volunteers.”
The 57th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Peter Sides, who was wounded on July 2. Captain Alanson H. Nelson then took command. The 57th brought 207 men to the field, losing 11 killed, 46 wounded and 58 missing.
From the front (east side) of the monument:
1st Brig. 1st Div.
The Regiment occupied this position, exposed to a heavy artillery fire on the afternoon of July 2, for two hours, when it advanced 170 feet and engaged the enemy
From the south side of the monument:
Mustered in October & November 1861
Re-enlisted December 30, 1863.
Mustered out June 29, 1865.
From the north side of the monument:
Participated in the Following Engagements.
Yorktown – Mine Run
Williamsburg – Wilderness
Fair Oaks – Spotsylvania
Oak Grove – North Anna
Glendale – Totopotomoy
Malvern Hill – Cold Harbor
Bristoe Station – Petersburg
Groveton – Strawberry Plains
2d Bull Run – Deep Bottom
Chantilly – Poplar Spring Church
Fredericksburg – Boydton Road
Chancellorsville – Hatchers Run
Gettysburg – Petersburg
Auburn – Amelia Springs
Kelly’s Ford – Appomattox
Location of the monument to the 57th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 57th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Emmitsburg Road about 90 yards south of United States Avenue in the yard of the Sherfy farm. (39°48’13.3″N 77°14’55.1″W)