There are two monuments to the 2nd Division of the Third Army Corps. Both are south of Gettysburg, one at the Klingel Farm (Emmitsburg Road tour map) and the other in the Peach Orchard. (Peach Orchard tour map)
Brigadier General Andrew A. Humphreys (West Point Class of 1831) commanded the 2nd Division at Gettysburg. Humphreys was a career army officer from Philadelphia. There is a monument to General Humphreys at Gettysburg, and another monument to Humphreys on the Fredericksburg battlefield.
|Attached to the 3rd Corps, Army of the Potomac
The 2nd Division flag is the corps symbol, a diamond, in white on a blue background.
From the Peach Orchard monument
Army of the Potomac
Brig. General Andrew A. Humphreys
July 2. Arrived about 1 A. M. and bivouacked for the night. In the morning took position between Birney’s Division on the left and the Second Corps facing Emmitsburg Road. Between 2 and 3 P. M. advanced to the Emmitsburg Road. Carr’s Brigade at first in line along the road Brewster’s Brigade in reserve. Burling’s Brigade at first in reserve and then except the 5th New Jersey sent to Gen. Birney. The Division was attacked by McLaws’ and Anderson’s Divisions and by sunset was compelled to retire to the first position occupied where it reformed on the left of Second Corps and drove back the Confederate forces beyond the Emmitsburg Road and recovered the artillery that had been abandoned and captured many prisoners and held the position during the night.
July 3. About sunrise moved to the rear and left and was supplied with rations and ammunition. Burling’s Brigade joined the Division moved to different points in rear of the First Second Fifth and some Sixth Corps in support of threatened positions. Suffered some loss in the afternoon from Confederate artillery.
Casualties Killed 28 Officers 286 Men Wounded 140 Officers 1422 Men Captured or Missing 2 Officers 214 Men Total 2092
Location of the Peach Orchard monument
The first monument to the 2nd Division, 3rd Corps is south of Gettysburg at the Peach Orchard. It is one of four 3rd Corps headquarters monuments on the southeast corner of the intersection on Emmitsburg Road and Wheatfield Road.
From the monument at the Klingle Farm
Army of the Potomac
Brigadier General Andrew A. Humphreys
July 1. This Division was at Emmitsburg. Shortly after 3 P. M. marched by indirect route about two miles west of main road to Gettysburg leaving Burling’s Brigade.
July 2. Arrived at 1 A. M. and massed on Cemetery Ridge between Birney’s Division on the left and 2d Corps. Burling’s Brigade rejoined. Between 2 and 3 P. M. formed line of battle along the Emmitsburg Road to resist attack on Union left its right opposite left of Caldwell’s Division 2d Corps its left joining Birney’s Division. Carr’s Brigade on the right Brewster’s Brigade massed on the left centre Burling’s Brigade in Reserve until sent to General Birney. The Confederates made demonstrations on the Division front which remained in position after the 5th and 6th Corps had arrived on the Union left until about 6 P. M. when McLaws’ Division following the Confederate oblique order of battle broke Birney’s line at the Peach Orchard uncovering the left of Humphreys who changed front to connect with 2d and 5th Corps troops in the Wheatfield. That line enfiladed by the enemy fell back across Plum Run while Humphreys outflanked by McLaws’ Division and pressed by Anderson’s Division Hill’s Corps gradually retired to Cemetery Ridge reformed on 2d Corps left and drove the Confederates beyond the Emmitsburg Road recovering abandoned artillery capturing many prisoners and holding the advanced position during the night.
July 3. Division moved to different points in the rear of the 1st 2d 5th and 6th Corps supporting threatened positions.
Casualties Killed 28 Officers 286 Men Wounded 140 Officers 1422 Men Captured or Missing 2 Officers 214 men Total 2092
Location of the monument near the Klingel farm
The second monument to the 2nd Division is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Sickles Avenue. It is about 570 feet south of both the intersection with Emmitsburg Road and the monument to Major General Humphreys.