Union Headquarters monuments > 5th Corps > 2nd Division
The monument to the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Corps is just west of Sykes Avenue at the summit of Little Round Top. (Little Round Top tour map)
Attached to the 2nd Division, 5th Corps, Army of the Potomac
From the monument
Army of the Potomac
Fifth Corps Second Division
Brig. Gen. Stephen H. Weed
Col. Kenner Garrard
140th 146th New York
91st 155th Pennsylvania Infantry
July 2. Arrived early in the morning and lay on the Baltimore Pike near Rock Creek until late in the day. Moved hastily to the left leading the Division and took position on Little Round Top on the right of Third Brigade First Division in time for the 140th New York to repel an attack at that point. The other regiments having moved to the right to the support of Battery I 5th U. S. and Third Corps line were brought back and went into position on the right of the 140th New York. Brig. Gen. Weed commanding Brigade and Col. P. H. O’Rorke commanding 140th New York were mortally wounded.
July 3. Remained in position until the close of the battle.
Casualties Killed 2 Officers 38 Men Wounded 11 Officers 131 Men Captured or Missing 18 Men Total 200
Brigadier General Stephen H. Weed
Brigadier General Stephen H. Weed commanded the brigade at Gettysburg. Weed (West Point Class of 1854) was a career Army officer from New York. He commanded artillery through the first half of the war, but in June of 1863 he was commissioned brigadier general in the volunteer army and given command of the brigade. Weed was mortally wounded on July 2nd on Little Round Top, dying that night in the basement of the Weikert farm on Taneytown Road. There is a monument to General Weed and Lieutenant Charles Hazlett at the summit of Little Round Top at Gettysburg. Colonel Kenner Garrard took over the brigade as senior colonel when Weed was mortally wounded.
Location of the monument to the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Corps at Gettysburg
The monument is south of Gettysburg on Little Round Top. It is on the west side of Sykes Avenue at the north end of the Little Round Top parking area next to the path that leads to the statue of General Warren.