The monument to the 146th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on the north slope of Little Round Top, just downhill from the statue to Brigadier General Warren. (Little Round Top tour map) It was dedicated in 1888 by the State of New York.
The 146th New York Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Kenner Garrard. He took over command of the brigade on July 2 when Brigadier General Stephen Weed was mortally wounded, and Lieutenant Colonel David Tuttle took command of the regiment.
The regiment brought 534 men to the field, losing 4 men killed and 24 wounded.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, Fifth Corps|
From the front of the monument:
146th New York Infantry
3d Brigade, 2d Division
Col’s Garrard, Jenkins, Grindley
From the left side:
From this position Maj. Gen. Meade
observed the battle for a time on July 3d.
From the right side:
Engaged in 23 battles,
twice complimented in general orders.
From the rear:
July 2d and 3d 1863.
Location of the monument to the 146th New York Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 146th New York is south of Gettysburg on the summit of Little Round Top just northwest of (and downhill from) the monument to General Warren. (39°47’33.7″N 77°14’12.5″W)