The monument to the 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment is west of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue south of the Railroad Cut. (North Reynolds Avenue tour map) A marker on the north side of Culp’s Hill shows the position of the regiment on July 2 and 3. (Steven’s Knoll or Culp’s Hill North tour maps)
About the monument
The red granite monument stands about 11′ 7″ tall. The five-sided symbol at the top represents the Iron Brigade. The circle on the front is the symbol of the Union First Army Corps. Other symbols include an eagle over crossed flags (right, or south side), crossed rifles behind a knapsack (front), and the Wisconsin state seal (left, or north side). The monument’s material and symbols are identical and its design is very similar to that of the monument to the 7th Wisconsin.
The monument was dedicated by the State of Wisconsin on June 30th, 1888. It originally stood about 50 feet to the west but was relocated when the Reynolds Avenue bridge over the railroad cut was rebuilt in the 1960s. The railroad in the cut is an operating railroad with several trains a day.
The 6th Wisconsin Infantry at the Battle of Gettysburg
The Sixth Wisconsin was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Rufus R. Dawes, grandson of the William Dawes who rode with Paul Revere. It brought 340 men to the field and lost 30 killed, 116 wounded and 22 missing.
The Sixth and the rest of the First Corps were among the first Federal infantry in the fight at Gettysburg, going into action northwest of town during the morning of July 1st.
The regiment was initially held in reserve from the rest of the Iron Brigade. When Davis’ Mississippi Brigade threatened to outflank the Iron Brigade the 6th Wisconsin charged across open ground to the Railway Cut north of Chambersburg Pike, trapping much of Davis’ command and taking a number of prisoners, particularly from the 2nd Mississippi Infantry.
By late afternoon the Union position north and west of Gettysburg collapsed and the Sixth was forced to retreat through Gettysburg to Cemetery Hill. It was ordered with the rest of the First Division to the north side of Culp’s Hill, which it defended for the rest of the battle.
|Corporal Francis A. Waller of Company I was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1st when he captured the flag of the 2d Mississippi Infantry|
|See Lt. Colonel Rufus Dawes’ Official Report on the 6th Wisconsin in the Gettysburg Campaign.|
From the front of the monument
6th Wis. Vol.
1st Brigade 1st Division 1st Corps
July 1, 1863
From the left side of the monument:
In the charge made on this R.R. cut
the 2nd Miss. Regt. officers,
men, and battle flag
surrendered to the 6th. Wis.
Loss in 6th Regt.
Killed — 30.
Wounded — 116.
Missing — 22.
Aggregate — 168.
From the right side of the monument:
Number who lost their lives in battle
in the 6th Wis. Regt. during the war
Killed — 163
Died of wounds — 71
Total — 234.
Location of the monument to the 6th Wisconsin Infantry at Gettysburg
The main monument to the Sixth Wisconsin Infantry is west of Gettysburg on the east side of Reynolds Avenue at the Railroad Cut. (39°50’14.6″N 77°14’53.3″W)
Position marker on Culp’s Hill
From the marker on Culp’s Hill:
6th Wis. Regt.
July 2nd & 3rd 1863
Location of the position marker for the 6th Wisconsin
The Culp’s Hill position marker for the 6th Wisconsin is southeast of Gettysburg about 45 feet north of the Culp’s Hill loop road and about 125 feet north of the intersection with Slocum Avenue. (39°49’12.6″N 77°13’17.8″W)