The monument to the 39th New York Volunteer Infantry is south of Gettysburg on Hancock Avenue in Ziegler’s Grove. (Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove or Hancock Avenue at The Angle tour maps) A marker north of United States Avenue shows the position where the regiment fought on July 2.
About the monument to the 39th New York
The monument is a shaft of rough-hewn Quincy granite that stands twenty feet high. The lower level has raised inscriptions on all four sides. A circular bronze Seal of the State of New York is set into the front, and on the front of the cap is a raised trefoil symbol of the Second Corps. The monument was dedicated on July 1st, 1888 by the State of New York.
The 39th New York at Gettysburg
The 39th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major Hugo Hillebrandt, who was wounded on July 3rd. It brought 332 men to the field, having been consolidated to a battalion of four companies (A-D) in May of 1863.
From the front of the monument:
3rd Brig. 3d Div.
From the left side of the monument:
This Regiment at about 7 o’clock P.M. July 2d 1863 being ordered to support General Sickles’ line charged and drove the enemy recapturing the Guns and equipment of Battery I.
5th U.S. Artillery. A stone tablet marks the place where this incident occurred.
From the right side of the monument:
This regiment (composed of 4 companies) held this position July 2d and 3d 1863.
From the rear of the monument:
Position Marker on United States Avenue near the Trostle Farm
From the marker on United States Avenue:
On this spot July 2d 1863,
the 39th N.Y. Infantry
re-captured the guns
and equipment of
5th U.S. Artillery
Location of the main monument to the 39th New York
The monument to the 39th New York is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue about 150 yards south of the Bryan barn.
Lincoln’s Foreign Legion: