The monument to the Second Corps of the Army of the Potomac is on Hancock Avenue (Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove or Hancock Avenue at The Angle tour maps) A Headquarters Marker is on Pleasonton Avenue. (Pleasonton Avenue tour map)
The Second Corps was attached to the Army of the Potomac
Its flag is a blue swallowtail with the corps number in red.
The Second Corps was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major General Winfield Scott Hancock (West Point Class of 1844.) Hancock was temporarily given higher command during parts of the battle and was wounded in Pickett’s Charge. During these times Brigadier General John Gibbon took command of the corps. There is a monument to General Hancock on Cemetery Hill.
From the monument
Army of the Potomac
Major General Winfield S. Hancock
Brigadier General John Gibbon
First Division Brigadier General John C. Caldwell
Second Division Brigadier General John Gibbon
Brigadier General William Harrow
Third Division Brigadier General Alexander Hays
Artillery Brigade Captain John G. Hazard
July 2. Arrived between 6 and 8 A. M. on Taneytown Road and went into position on Cemetery Ridge on right of 5th Corps and at the left of the cemetery relieving a part of 1st Corps. Caldwell’s Division on the left Gibbon in centre and Hays on the right of line from Cemetery Hill to Round Top. Between 5 and 6 P. M. Caldwell’s Division was sent to the support of 3d Corps and was engaged until sunset. It returned to its first position.
July 3. At 1 P. M. the Confederate artillery opened a heavy fire all along Hill’s Corps and the left of Longstreet’s Corps for two hours when an assault under the command of General Longstreet was made by a force of about 15,000 which was repulsed with great loss in killed wounded and prisoners.
Casualties Killed 66 Officers 731 Men Wounded 270 Officers 2924 Men Captured or Missing 10 Officers 365 Men Total 4369
Location of the monument to the 2nd Corps at Gettysburg
The monument is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue about 130 yards south of the Bryan Farmhouse. (39°48’52.1″N 77°14’06.7″W)
Headquarters Marker for the 2nd Corps
From the Headquarters Marker
Army of the Potomac
2d Corps Headquarters
Major General Winfield S. Hancock,
July 1, 2, 3, 1863
Location of the headquarters marker for the 2nd Corps
The headquarters marker for the 2nd Corps is south of Gettysburg. It is on the north side of Pleasonton Avenue just north of the State of Pennsylvania monument.