The monument to the 149th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg along Slocum Avenue on Culp’s Hill. (North Culp’s Hill tour map) It was dedicated by the State of New York in 1892.
The 149th New York Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Henry A. Barnum, who was forced to give up command due to illness on the night of the 2nd. Barnum went on to win the Medal of Honor for his actions at Lookout Mountain in 1864. Lieutenant Colonel Charles B. Randall took over until he was wounded on July 3. Captain Nicholas Grumbach, Jr. then took command of the regiment.
The 149th brought 319 men to the field and suffered 6 men killed, 46 wounded and 6 missing.
From the front of the monument:
149th New York Infantry
3rd Brigade – 2nd Division 12th Corps
The bas-relief on the monument depicts Color Sergeant William C. Lilly mending the shattered staff of the colors while under fire. The caption on the tablet states:
Flag was planted in works. Shot down and mended under fire.
From the rear of the monument:
5 p.m. July 1, 1863, occupied position near
Little Round Top. 4 a.m. July 2d. moved here.
Built these works and defended them July 2d.
and 3d. Killed 6, wounded 46, missing 3.
Mustered in at Syracuse, N.Y. Sept 18, 1862.
Total enlistments 1270. Total losses 602.
Mustered out June 12, 1865
Rocky Face Ridge
New Hope Church
Peach Tree Creek
Siege of Atlanta
March to the Sea
Seige of Savannah
Campaign of the Carolinas
Location of the monument to the monument to the 149th New York Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 149th New York is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill on the east side of Slocum Avenue about 120 yards from the intesection with Williams Avenue. (39°49’04.6″N 77°13’09.4″W)