There are two monuments to the 119th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on the Gettysburg battlefield.
The 119th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Peter C. Ellemaker. It arrived on the field on the afternoon of July 2 after an epic march of 37 continuous miles. The regiment brought 466 men to the field and was in reserve for most of the battle, losing two men wounded.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac|
Monument to the 119th Pennsylvania on Big Round Top
The original monument to the 119th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg along the walking trail just below the summit of Big Round Top. (Big Round Top tour map) It was dedicated in 1885 by the surviving veterans of the regiment.
From the front of the monument on Big Round Top:
Oct. 3, 1885.
119th Reg. P.V.
From the rear of the monument (which can only be viewed from a steep drop below):
After a continuous march
of 37 miles reached field
afternoon of 2nd.
119th Penna., 6th Maine,
49th Penna., 5th Wis.
covered extreme infantry
left of the Union army, east of the
Taneytown Road on the 3rd.
Occupied this position
from evening of the 3rd until
morning of the 5th.
From the left side of the monument:
Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick
Comdg. 6th Army Corps
Brig. Gen. Horation G. Wright
Comdg. 1st Division
Brig. Gen. David A. Russell
Comdg 3rd Brigade
Col. Peter C. Ellemaker
From the right side of the monument:
Organized at Philada., Sept. 1, 1862
Mustered out of service June 19, 1865
Killed in action, died of wounds or from
disease 11 officers 199 men
wounded 305 officers and men
Location of the 119th Pennsylvania monument on Big Round Top
The 119th Pennsylvania monument on Big Round Top is just below the summit on the main walking trail up Big Round Top. The trailhead is on South Confederate Avenue 1.3 miles past Emmitsburg Road. South Confederate Avenue is one-way eastbound. (39°47’12.1″N 77°14’21.8″W)
Monument to the 119th Pennsylvania on Howe Avenue
A second monument south of Gettysburg on Howe Avenue (see Page Two) was dedicated in 1888 by the State of Pennsylvania. Shortly after the veterans of the regiment erected the first monumenton Big Round Top in 1885 the Pennsylvania legislature made state funds available for Pennsylvania Civil War monuments. Like several other Pennsylvania veterans groups, the survivors of the 119th elected to use the funds to create a second monument on the Gettysburg battlefield.
This was placed south of Gettysburg on Howe Avenue (Howe & Wright Avenues tour map) and was dedicated in 1888 by the State of Pennsylvania. The regiment took position here in reserve on the morning of July 3 before moving to the north face of Big Round Top at the location marked by its other monument.
From the front of the monument on Howe Avenue:
Formed line afternoon of July 2nd
in rear of ridge to right of Little Round Top.
Morning of the 3rd moved to this position
afternoon marched to rear of left centre
thence to face of Round Top.
119th Penna. Infantry
3rd Brig. 1st Div. 6th Corps
From the left side:
Organized at Philadalphia
Mustered in Sept. 1862
Mustered out June 1865
Aggregate strength 1200
Killed and died of wounds 106
Died of disease and other causes 69
From the right side:
Marye’s Heights Cold Harbor
Salem Heights Petersburg
Gettysburg Fort Stevens
Rappahannock Station Winchester
Mine Run Dabney’s Mills
Wilderness Petersburg Fort Fisher
Spotsylvania Petersburg Assault
North Anna Sailor’s Creek
Location of the 119th Pennsylvania monument on Howe Avenue
The monument to the 119th Pennsylvania on Howe Avenue is south of Gettysburg, 65 yards east of Taneytown Road on the north side of Howe Avenue. (39°47’01.7″N 77°13’45.6″W)