The monument to the 49th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Howe Avenue. (Howe-Wright Avenues tour map)
About the monument to the 47th Pennsylvania Infantry
The granite monument consists of a rough-hewn rectangular base topped with a triangular shaft adorned on the corners with bronze rifles. The top of the shaft has the Greek cross badge of the 6th Corps on two sides, crowned with a carved forage cap. Other carved pieces of equipment such as a canteen and a knapsack flank the Seal of the State of Pennsylvania at the base of the shaft. The monument was dedicated in 1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The 49th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The 49th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Thomas M. Hulings. It brought 318 men to the field in four companies (A-D). The regiment had marched 36 miles on July 1 to reach the battlefield, and was placed in reserve behind Little Round Top to secure the flank of the army. It suffered no casualties.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
49th Penna. Infantry
3rd Brig. 1st Div. 6th Corps
From the left side of the monument:
The regiment made a continuous march from Manchester Md., arriving on the field the afternoon of July 2. Occupied this position in reserve from the morning of the 3rd until the enemy’s assault in the afternoon when it moved to support centre thence to Round Top.
From the right side of the monument:
Organized September 14, 1861.
Re-enlisted December 24, 1863.
Mustered out July 15, 1865.
Total enrollment 1400.
Killed in action 91.
Died of wounds 58.
Died of disease etc. 173.
Captured or missing 74.
Total losses 729.
From the rear of the monument:
Recruited in the counties of Centre, Chester, Huntingdon, Miffin and Juniata
Location of the monument to the 49th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 49th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg on the north side of Howe Avenue about 0.13 mile east of Taneytown Road. (39°46’59.7″N 77°13’39.6″W)