The monument to the 6th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Howe Avenue. (Howe & Wright Avenues tour map) The State of Maine dedicated the monument in 1889.
Colonel Hiram Burnham commanded the 6th Maine Infantry at the Battle of Gettysburg. It brought 439 men to the field. The regiment arrived on the Gettysburg battlefield late in the afternoon of July 2. It had made an epic 30 mile march straight through from Manchester, Maryland. They arrived just as Longstreet’s Assault failed to break the Union line, providing badly needed support to the Union left flank. The 6th Maine moved at dusk to the east slope of the northern side of Little Round Top along Taneytown Road and was held in reserve until morning. On July 3 the regiment moved in support of 5th Corps to the east slope of Big Round Top on the extreme left of the Union line. It was not engaged and suffered no casualties.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From the front of the monument:
6th Maine Infantry
3rd Brigde 1st Div. 6th Corps
From the side of the monument:
Held this position July 3, 1863.
In afternoon moved to support of centre, then to Big Round Top.
Location of the monument
The monument to the 6th Maine is south of Gettysburg on the north side of Wright Avenue. It is about 170 yards east of Taneytown Road. (39°47’00.4″N 77°13’42.3″W)