Union monuments at Gettysburg > Ohio 


The monument to the 7th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue. (North Culp’s Hill tour map) It was dedicated in 1887 by the State of Ohio. Colonel William R. Creighton commanded the 7th Ohio Infantry at Gettysburg. It brought 293 men to the field, losing 1 killed and 17 wounded.

There is also a monument at Antietam to the 7th Ohio Infantry.

Monument to the 7th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg

Monument to the 7th Ohio Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg

12th Corps Headquarters flag 12th Corps, 2nd Division Headquarters flag

Monument to the 7th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg

From the front of the monument:

7th Ohio Infantry
1st Brigade 2d Division
12th Corps
July 1, 2, 3 1863

From the left side of the monument:

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori*

7th Ohio Infantry
—-
Arrived near Little Round Top evening of July 1. On July 2 held positions on Culp’s Hill from morning until 6 p.m. then moved with the Brigade to  support the left. Returned at midnight to Culp’s Hill  and remained there until the close of the battle

*It is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country.

From the rear of the monument:

7th Ohio Infantry
—-
Mustered in for 3 months April 30, 1861
Mustered in for 3 years June 21, 1861
Mustered out in June 1864

From the right side of the monument:

7th Ohio Infantry
—-
Served with the national armies in Virginia and the Antietam and Gettysburg Campaigns. Was transferred in September 1863 to the Army of the Cumberland and served with that army until June 1864

Left Flank marker of the 7th Ohio at Gettysburg

Left Flank marker of the 7th Ohio

Location of the monument to the 7th Ohio Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg

The monument to the 7th Ohio is south of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill about 30 yards northeast of the intersection of Slocum Avenue and Williams Avenue. (39°49’02.3″N 77°13’10.6″W)