The monument to the 12th Corps of the Federal Army of the Potomac is south of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue. (South Culp’s Hill tour map). There is a 12th Corps headquarters marker (an embedded cannon) on the west side of Baltimore Pike.
Attached to the Army of the Potomac.
The corps flag is a blue swallowtail with the corps number in red.
From the monument
Army of the Potomac
Major General Henry J. Slocum
Brigadier General Alpheus S. Williams
First Division Brigadier General Alpheus S. Williams
Brigadier General Thomas H. Ruger
Second Division Brigadier General John W. Geary
Artillery Brigade Lieutenant Edward D. Muhlenberg
Provost Guard Tenth Maine (Four Companies)
July 1. Marched from near Littlestown to Two Taverns by the afternoon. Hearing the 1st and 11th Corps were engaged at Gettysburg the Corps advanced on the Baltimore Pike. Williams’ Division to a position east of Rock Creek Geary’s Division to the left of Union line extending to the summit of Little Round Top.
July 2. In the morning the Corps took position on the right of 1st Corps on a line extending from the top of Culp’s Hill southeasterly across the low meadow into McAllister’s woods. Later in the day the Corps except Greene’s Brigade was withdrawn to support the left of the Army Johnson’s Confederate Division at night advanced under cover of darkness and took possession of the works on the Corps Line on right of Greene’s Brigade. About midnight the Corps returned and finding Johnson’s Division in possession of the works formed line in front of that Division.
July 3. Before 1 A. M. the artillery of the Corps and Rigby’s Maryland Battery from Reserve Artillery in all 26 guns were so placed as to command the line occupied by Johnson’s Division and at daylight opened fire under cover of which the infantry was advanced and attacked the Confederate position and after a contest lasting seven hours recaptured the works. Many prisoners and 5,000 small arms were captured. In the afternoon the Corps was in readiness to move.
July 4. Gen. Slocum in the morning advanced with a detachment of Ruger’s Division and a battery and found that the Confederates in front had retired.
Casualties Killed 18 Officers 186 Men Wounded 43 Officers 769 Men Captured or Missing 2 Officers 64 Men Total 1082
Location of the monument to the 12th Corps at Gettysburg
The monument is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill. It is on the southwest side of Slocum Avenue. It is about 200 feet southeast of the intersection with Geary Avenue.
The 12th Corps headquarters marker (an embedded cannon) is on the west side of Baltimore Pike just north of Granite Schoolhouse Lane. The headquarters was on Powers Hill, to the west of the marker.
From the marker
Army of the Potomac
12th Corps Headquarters
Henry W. Slocum
July 1, 2, 3, 4, 1863
were located on Powers Hill
260 yards westerly
Location of the marker
The marker is south of Gettysburg on the west side of the Baltimore Pike. It is about 500 feet northwest of the intersection with Granite Schoolhouse Lane.
Major General Henry W. Slocum
Major General Henry W. Slocum commanded the 12th Corps at the Battle of Gettysburg. Slocum (West Point Class of 1852) was a lawyer and state representative from New York. His monument is on Steven’s Knoll.