The monument to the 10th Maine Infantry Battalion is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Baltimore Pike near Hunt Avenue. The monument was erected by the State of Maine in 1889.
The 10th Maine started its existence as a regiment in the fall of 1861. The regiment took part in the Battles of Cedar Mountain and Antietam. Most of the 10th Maine mustered out early in 1863 at the end of their enlistments. But enough men had signed up for three years service that the regiment was able to reorganize as a three company battalion. Captain John Davis Beardsley commanded the battalion at Gettysburg. He was a sawmill owner from Woodstock who had enlisted along with all his mill hands. The battalion was assigned to provost guard duty. Its 170 men suffered no casualties.
From the monument:
Location of the monument to the 10th Maine Infantry Battalion
The monument to the 10th Maine Battalion is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Baltimore Pike about 100 yards south of the entrance to the Visitor Center. (39°48’41.4″N 77°13’14.6″W)