The monument to Major General Henry Slocum is south of Gettysburg on Slocum Avenue. (39.819128° N, 77.224588° W; Google map; Tour map: Stevens Knoll) It was dedicated on September 19, 1902 by the State of New York.
About General Slocum’s monument
The monument to General Slocum cosnsists of a bronze equestrian statue created by sculptor Edward Clark Potter. Potter created a number of equestrian statues but is best known for the lions in front of the New York Public Library. Slocum’s statue weighs 7,300 pounds and stands 15′ 6″ tall. It rests on a 16′ tall base of Barre granite designed by A.J. Zabriskie. Large bronze inscribed tablets are inset into the base on each side.
From the front of the monument:
Henry Warner Slocum, U.S.A.
In command of the Right Wing
of the Army of the Potomac
Battle of Gettysburg
July 1, 2, 3, 1863
“Stay and fight it out”
Gen. Slocum at Council of War July 2, 1863
Erected by the State of New York 1902
From the rear of the monument:
Major General Henry Warner Slocum, U.S. Vols.
Cadet U.S. Military Academy July 1, 1848. 2nd Lieut. First Artillery July 1, 1852. 1st Lieut. March 3, 1855. Resigned October 31, 1856.
Col. 27th N.Y. Infantry May 21, 1861. Severely wounded Bull Run July 21, 1861. Brig. Gen’l. of Volunteers August 9, 1861. Assigned to command of 2nd Brigade, Franklin’s Division, Army of the Potomac September 4, 1861 and to command of the 1st Division, 8tj Corps May 18, 1862.
Maj. Gen’l. U.S. Vols. July 4, 1862. Assumed command of 12th Corps October 20, 1862. Temporarily commanded the right wing of the Army of the Potomac, consisting of the 5th, 11th, and 12th Corps April 28-30, 1863. In command of the right wing of the Union Army composed of the 5th and 12th Corps at Gettysburg July 1, 2, 3, 1863.
Relinquished command of the 12th Corps April 18, 1864 and on April 27, 1864 assumed command of the Military District of Vicksburg, which he held until August 14, 1864.
Assumed command of the 20th Corps August 27, 1864 and the left wing of Sherman’s Army known as the Army of Georgia, November 11, 1864. Assigned in orders dated June 27, 1865 to command of the Department of the Mississippi, Headquarters at Vicksburg which he held until relieved September 18, 1865 and on September 28, 1865 Gen’l. Slocum resigned from the Army and was honorably discharged.
More about Henry Slocum
Henry Warner Slocum was born at Delphi, New York on September 24, 1826. He graduated from West Point with the class of 1852, and served against the Seminoles and in Charleston Harbor. In 1856 he resigned his commission to practice law, settling in Syracuse and becoming a state legislator and a colonel in the state militia.
With the outbreak of war Slocum became Colonel of the 27th New York, and was wounded at First Bull Run. When he recovered he was given a brigade, and then a division in Franklin’s 6th Corps. After Antietam he was given command of the 12th Corps, which performed well at Chancellorsville, although Slocum scathingly criticized Hooker.
Slocum was criticized for delaying his arrival at Gettysburg while sending his troops on ahead; he knew that as senior corps commander he would assume command if he arrived before Meade. Once he arrived he did well, holding the right flank of the army against repeated attacks by Ewell’s Confederate 2nd Corps.
After the Union debacle at Chickamauga Slocum’s 12th Corps was one of two corps of the Army of the Potomac chosen to go west under Hooker’s command. Slocum immediately sent in his resignation. It was refused, and a compromise was achieved where Slocum and a part of his Corps would operate independently of Hooker.
When Hooker eventually resigned (over being asked to serve under former subordinate Oliver Howard) Slocum was called to take over the 20th Corps, which was the first Union unit enter Atlanta. Slocum commanded the left wing of Sherman’s Army (the Army of Georgia) on the March to the Sea.
After the war he practiced law in Brooklyn and served three terms as a Democratic U.S. congressman. He also served on the Board of the Gettysburg Monument Commissioners. He died in Brooklyn in 1894