There are two monuments to the 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Corps of the Army of the Potomac. A monument in the traditional style shows the brigade’s location on Culp’s Hill. (North Culp’s Hill tour map) A second monument in a unique style shows the brigade’s first position on July 1 south of Gettysburg on Sedgwick Avenue. (Sedgwick Avenue tour map)
Colonel Charles Candy commanded the brigade at Gettysburg. Candy was a career soldier, serving as enlisted man in both the 1st Dragoons and the 1st Infantry before the war. He advanced from private to sergeant major by 1860. After the war started he was appointed a volunteer captain on the staff of General Stone. He became colonel of the 66th Ohio in December of 1861. When General Geary was wounded at Cedar Mountain Colonel Candy took command of the brigade as senior colonel.
From the monument on Culp’s Hill
Army of the Potomac
July 1. Arrived at 5 P. M. and took position on the left of Third Brigade between the First Corps and the Round Tops. The 5th Ohio and 147th Penna. occupied Little Round Top during the night as skirmishers.
July 2. Moved to Culp’s Hill in the morning and took position as a reserve in rear of Third Brigade. At 7 P. M. moved to the rear on Baltimore Pike across Rock Creek. Returned at midnight and formed on the right of Third Brigade perpendicular to its line.
July 3. At daylight the artillery opened on the Confederate line. The 147th Penna. advanced and captured a stone wall. The 5th Ohio held its position on the right of the Brigade under a heavy fire. The other regiments were in reserve and at intervals relieved the regiments of Second and Third Brigades. The 66th Ohio advanced beyond the breastworks and poured an enfilading fire on the Confederates occupying the works on the right. At 10.30 A. M. Major Gen. Johnson’s forces were forced from the works. Skirmishing continued all day.
Casualties Killed 4 Officers 14 Men Wounded 5 Officers 114 Men Captured or Missing 2 Men Total 139
Location of the monument on Culp’s Hill
One of the two markers for the 1st Brigade, 2nd Division of the 12th Army Corps is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill on the west side of Slocum Avenue about 200 yards north of the Williams Avenue intersection. (39°49’07.2″N 77°13’10.8″W)
From the monument
Colonel Charles Candy commanding,
2nd Division, 12th Corps
5th Ohio Infantry Col. J. H. Patrick
7th Ohio Infantry Col. W. R. Creighton
29th Ohio Infantry Capt. W.F. Stevens, Capt. Edward Hayes
66th Ohio Infantry Lieut.-Col. E. Powell
28th Penna. Infantry Capt. John Flynn
147th Penna. Infantry Lieut.-Col. A. Pardee Jr.
July 1 about 5 p.m. took position along the ridge in rear of this tablet. The 5th Ohio and 147th Penna. occupied Little Round Top at dusk on picket duty. July 2 early in the morning the brigade moved to Culp’s Hill.
Location of the marker on Sedgwick Avenue
The other marker for the 1st Brigade is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Sedgwick Avenue. It is about 0.25 mile north of Wheatfield Road. (39°47’53.8″N 77°14’04.9″W)