About the monument to the 42nd New York
The monument is a bronze statue of the Delaware Indian Chief Tammany standing in front of a teepee. Tammany was a friend to colonists in the early days of America and became the symbol for the powerful New York City political hall that raised the regiment.
The bronze artwork, sculpted by John J. Boyle, stands atop a ten foot high base of Quincy granite for a total height from the ground to the top of the teepee of 27 feet. Three bronze tablets on the sides and rear tell the regiment’s story, and a circular bronze Seal of the State of New York is inlaid on its front. The bronze trefoil symbol of the Second Crops is at the peak of the front just below Chief Tammany. The monument was dedicated by the State of New York on September 24, 1891.
The 42nd at the Battle of Gettysburg
The 42nd New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel James E. Mallon of Brooklyn. It brought 197 men to the field.
See Colonel Mallon’s Official Report for the 42nd New York at the Battle of Gettysburg
From the front of the monument:
42nd New York Infantry
3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 2nd Corps.
From the left side:
July 2, 1863. Went to support of 3rd. Corps about 5 p.m. Held this
position July 3rd, and, assisted in repulsing the assault of Pickett’s Division. Casualties; Killed 15, wounded 55, missing 4.
From the right side:
Mustered into U.S. service June 22, 1861. Total enrollment 1210.
Participated in 19 battles.
Killed 92. Wounded 328. Missing 298.
Mustered out July 13, 1864.
From the tablet on the rear of the monument:
This regiment was raised
and organized by Colonel
William O. Kennedy under the
patronage of the
Tammany Society and
of the Union Defense
New York City.
See more on the 42nd New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War
Location of the monument
The monument to the 42nd New York is south of Gettysburg on the east side of Hancock Avenue 60 yards southeast of the Copse of Trees.