The monument to the Army of the Potomac’s Engineer Brigade is south of Gettysburg on Pleasonton Avenue. (Pleasonton Avenue tour map)
The brigade was commanded during the Gettysburg Campaign by Brigadier General Henry Benham (West Point Class of 1837), a career engineer officer from Connecticut. Like a number of units honored along Pleasonton Avenue, the engineers were not at Gettysburg but played an important part in the campaign.
From the monument:
Army of the Potomac
Brig. Gen. Henry W. Benham
15th New York (3 Companies)
Major Walter L Cassin
50th New York
Col. William H. Pettes
United States Battalion
Capt. George H. Mendell
Engaged in arduous duties from June 13 to July 18 1863 bridging rivers and transporting pontoons to enable the Army to cross the Potomac River and its tributaries into Pennsylvania and to recross into Virginia.
Location of the monument to the Engineer Brigade at Gettysburg
The monument to the Engineer Brigade is on the north side of Pleasonton Avenue about 160 yards east of Humphreys Avenue (39°48’28.9″N 77°13’58.7″W)