The monument to the United States Battalion of Engineers is south of Gettysburg on Pleasonton Avenue. (Pleasonton Avenue tour map). Like many of the other units whose monuments are along Pleasonton Avenue, the Battalion was not on the battlefield but played an important support role in the campaign. Captain George H. Mendell (West Point class of 1852) commanded the battalion during the Gettysburg campaign. He was a career army officer from Youngstown, Ohio who spent his life in the Corps of Engineers.
From the tablet on the monument:
Army of the Potomac
United States Battalion of Engineers
Capt. George H. Mendell Commanding
With the Army of the Potomac in the Gettysburg Campaign from the Rappahannock to the Potomac and engaged in arduous duties from June 13th to July 18th bridging rivers and transporting pontoons.
No casualties reported
Location of the monument
The monument is south of Gettysburg on the north side of Pleasonton Avenue halfway between Humphreys Avenue and Taneytown Road, just west of the Jacob Hummelbaugh farm. (39°48’28.8″N 77°13’57.6″W)