Union Headquarters monuments > 5th Corps > 1st Division
Attached to the 1st Division, 5th Corps, Army of the Potomac
The monument to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Division of the 5th Corps is south of Gettysburg on DeTrobriand Avenue. (Sickles Ave. at the Rose Woods tour map or DeTrobriand Avenue – the Wheatfield tour map)
From the monument
Army of the Potomac
Fifth Corps First Division
Col. Jacob B. Sweitzer
9th 32d Massachusetts 4th Michigan
62d Pennsylvania Infantry
July 2. After 2 P. M. moved from the Baltimore Pike near Rock Creek with the Division left in front to support of Third Corps line. Third Brigade was detached to occupy Little Round Top and the Brigade crossed Plum Run followed by First Brigade and went into position on the edge of woods west of the Wheatfield facing partly towards the Rose House First Brigade on the right. Brig. Gen. Kershaw’s Brigade supported by Brig. Gen. Semmes’ Brigade having attacked this position and First Brigade having retired the Brigade retired across the Wheatfield Road and formed on the north side of the woods facing the road when by order of Brig. Gen. J. Barnes the Brigade advanced to the support of First Division Second Corps and engaged Brig. Gen. Anderson’s Brigade at the stone wall at the south end of the Wheatfield but the supports on the right having given away the Brigade was attacked on the right and rear and it retired under a heavy fire to a line north of Little Round Top and there remained until the close of the battle.
Casualties Killed 6 Officers 61 Men Wounded 26 Officers 213 Men Captured or Missing 1 Officer 120 Men Total 427
Colonel Jacob B. Sweitzer
Colonel Jacob B. Sweitzer commanded the brigade at the Battle of Gettysburg. Sweitzer was an attorney from Pennsylvania. He became the major of the 62nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in July of 1861. He was wounded and captured at the Battle of Gaines’s Mill in 1862. But he was exchanged in time to return to the army and command his regiment at Second Bull Run and Antietam. Sweitzer temporarily took command of the brigade at Fredericksburg, and then again, permanently, before Chancellorsville. After Gettysburg Sweitzer continued to command the regiment through the Overland Campaign until he mustered out with his regiment in July of 1864.
Location of the monument
The monument is south of Gettysburg on DeTrobriand Avenue. It is on the east side of the avenue about 150 feet south of its intersection with Sickles Avenue.