Confederate Headquarters – Longstreet’s First Corps – Hood’s Division


The monument to Anderson’s Brigade is southwest of Gettysburg on West Confederate Avenue (West Confederate Avenue – Pt. 5 tour map). A marker showing the brigade’s position on July 2 is on Cross Avenue in the Rose Woods (Brooke Avenue monument map).

Monument to Anderson's Georgia Brigade at Gettysburg

Monument to Anderson’s Georgia Brigade at Gettysburg

From the monument

Army of Northern Virginia
Longstreet’s Corps Hood’s Division
Anderson’s Brigade
7th 8th 9th 11th 59th Georgia Infantry

July 2. Reached the field about 4 P. M. and formed line. The 7th Regiment was sent southward to watch the Union Cavalry. The others charged into the woods south of Wheatfield and dislodged the Union line from the stone fence. Being outflanked on left retired to crest of Rose Hill. Reinforced by parts of other Brigades they again advanced. The brigades advanced a third time and after a struggle occupied the woodland to its border in Plum Run Valley.

July 3. The Brigade was sent down Emmitsburg Road and assisted in repulsing and holding in check Union cavalry which sought to flank the division

July 4. Assisted in constructing works to protect the flank.

July 5. About 5 a.m. began the march to Hagerstown, Md.

Present about 1800. Losses 671

Location of the monument to Anderson’s Brigade

The monument is south of Gettysburg on the west side of West Confederate Avenue, which is one way southbound at this point, It is just past the Snyder farmhouse and about 400 feet north of the intersection with Emmitsburg Road. (39°47’32.9″N 77°15’18.0″W)

Position marker in the Rose Woods

Marker for Anderson's Brigade of Hood's Division at Gettysburg

Marker for Anderson’s Brigade of Hood’s Division at Gettysburg

From the marker

Army of Northern Virginia
Longstreet’s Corps Hood’s Division
Anderson’s Brigade
7th 8th 9th 11th 59th Georgia Infantry

July 2. Reached the field about 4 P. M. and formed line. The 7th Regiment was sent southward to watch the Union Cavalry. The others charged into the woods south of Wheatfield and dislodged the Union line from the stone fence. Being outflanked on left retired to crest of Rose Hill. Reinforced by parts of other Brigades they again advanced. The brigades advanced a third time and after a struggle occupied the woodland to its border in Plum Run Valley.

Location of the position marker

The position marker is south of Gettysburg in the Rose Woods on the north side of Cross Avenue. It is just west of the hiking trail that leads from the Wheatfield (the route of the old trolly line). Cross Avenue begins as Ayres Avenue and continues on as Brooke and DeTrobriand Avenues. It is one way, and must be entered from Sickles and Ayres Avenues.

About George T. Anderson

Brigadier General George T. Anderson commanded the brigade at the Battle of Gettysburg. Anderson was from Covington, Georgia. He served in the Georgia cavalry in the Mexican War, and afterwards was a general in the Georgia militia for two years. In 1855 he became a captain in the 1st United States Cavalry Regiment, resigning in 1858. When the Civil War started he became colonel of the 11th Georgia Infantry Regiment, which he led in the Peninsula Campaign. He took command of his brigade as senior colonel in may, leading it at the Seven Days, Second Manassas (Bull Run), South Mountain and Sharpsburg (Antietam). In November of 1862 he was promoted to brigadier general and led his brigade at Fredericksburg.

Anderson was wounded in the fighting near the Wheatfield on July 2nd. Lieutenant Colonel William Luffman of the 11th Georgia took over the brigade when Anderson was wounded. Anderson rejoined his brigade for the Siege of Knoxville and led it until the end of the war at Appomattox.

Confederate Brigadier General George T. Anderson

Confederate Brigadier General George T. Anderson