The monument to Anderson’s Division of the 3rd Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia is southwest of Gettysburg on West Confederate Avenue. (West Confederate Avenue – Pt. 3 tour map)
From the monument
Wilcox’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Cadmus M. Wilcox
Mahone’s Brigade Brig. Gen. William Mahone
Wright’s Brigade Bde. Gen. A. R. Wright
Col. William Gibson
Perry’s Brigade Col. David Lang
Posey’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Carnot Posey
Three Batteries Major John Lane
July 1. Anderson’s Division on the march to Gettysburg was directed about dark to occupy the position vacated by Heth’s Division and to send a brigade and battery a mile or more to the right.
July 2. In the morning a new line of battle formed extending further to the right. About noon Longstreet’s Corps placed on the right nearly at right angles to the line directed to assault the Union left the Division to advance as the attack progressed to keep in touch with Longstreet’s left. The Union troops were forced from the first line and a portion of the ridge beyond. Union reinforcements pressing on the right flank which had become disconnected from McLaws’ left made the position gained untenable. The brigades withdrew to their position in line.
July 3. The Division remained in position until 3.30 P. M. Orders were given to support Lieut. Gen. Longstreet’s attack on the Union centre Wilcox and Perry moved forward. The assault failed the order to advance was countermanded.
July 4. The Division after dark took up the line of march.
Casualties Killed 147 Wounded 1128 Missing 840 Total 2115
About Richard Anderson
Richard H. Anderson was a career military officer from South Carolina and the grandson of a hero of the Revolution. After graduating from the West Point Class of 1842 he was assigned to the 1st Dragoons. He served on the western frontier until the Mexican War, when he fought at Verecruz, Contreras, Molino del Rey and the capture of Mexico City. He transfered to the 2nd Dragoons after the war, and was stationed on the frontier or at Carlisle Barracks.
When the Civil War started Anderson returned home and became colonel of the 1st South Carolina Regulars. He commanded at Charleston after the surrender of Fort Sumter, then moved to Pensacola, where he was wounded at Santa Rosa Island. After recovering he was promoted to brigadier general and joined Johnston’s Army of the Potomac in February of 1862. He commanded his brigade with distinction in the Peninsula Campaign, earning the nickname “fighting Dick” and acting as temporary division commander at Seven Pines. In July he was promoted to major general and given permanent command of his division, which he led at Second Manassas (Bull Run). Anderson was wounded at Sharpsburg (Antietam) while commanding along the Sunken Road. He returned to command at Fredericksburg and at Chancellorsville. In the reorganization of the Army of Northern Virginia after the death of Jackson Anderson’s Division became part of the newly created 3rd Corps.
After Gettysburg Anderson continued to command his division until after the Wilderness, when he took command of the 1st Corps with the wounding of Longstreet. When Longstreet returned in October of 1864 Anderson was given the newly created 4th Corps, which he commanded through the Siege of Petersburg. The 4th Corps was the rear guard during the retreat to Appomattox, and was overwhelmed at Sayler’s Creek. Lee merged its survivors into the 2nd Corps and sent Anderson home to South Carolina.
Location of the monument
The monument to Anderson’s Division is southwest of Gettysburg on the west side of West Confederate Avenue. The avenue is one way southbound. The monument is about 2,000 feet south of the State of Virginia monument and just past the State of Florida monument.