About the monument to the 115th Pennsylvania
The granite monument stands just over twelve and a half feet tall. A carved American Eagle sits on its domed cap, which has the diamond symbol of the Third Corps on each side. A bronze tablet with the Coat of Arms of the State of Pennsylvania is on the front. The monument was dedicated on September 12, 1889 by the State of Pennylvania.
The 115th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 115th Pennsylvania Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major John P. Dunne. It brought 182 men to the field in nine companies, as company H was never formed.
From the front of the monument:
July 2. This Regiment detached from the Brigade engaged the enemy here at 4:30 p.m. July 3.
In position with Division on left centre of the line.
Present at Gettysburg 182.
Killed 3, wounded 18, missing 3
115th Pennsylvania Infantry.
3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 3rd Corps
From the right side:
Recruited at Philadelphia,
Mustered in January 28, 1862.
Consolidated with the 110th Pennsylvania Infantry June 22. 1864.
From the left side:
Malvern Hill 2nd
Bull Run 2nd
See more on the 115th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War