The monument to the 110th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on De Trobriand Avenue. (DeTrobriand Avenue – The Wheatfield tour map) It was dedicated on September 11, 1889 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
About the monument to the 110th Pennsylvania Infantry
The granite monument stands about thirteen and a half feet tall, with a life sized sculpture of an infantryman standing atop a pedestal. The soldier faces away from the front of the statue and toward where the regiment held Longstreet’s advancing Confederates for two hours on the afternoon of July 2. The diamond symbol of the Third Corps is on each face of the top of the pedestal, and the Seal of the State of Pennsylvania is on the front base.
The 110th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
The 110th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel David M. Jones. He was wounded on July 2, losing his left leg, and Major Isaac Rodgers then took command. The 110th had only six companies at Gettysburg: A, B, C, E, H & I, and brought 152 men to the field. It lost 53 casualties.
See Major Rogers’ Official Report on the 110th Pennsylvania at Gettysburg
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Corps, Army of the Potomac|
From around the base of the monument:
110th Penna. Infantry
3rd Brigade 1st Division 3rd Corps
From the front of the monument:
July 2nd the Regiment fought on this line
from 4 until 6 O’Clock p.m.
July 3rd supported batteries on Cemetery Hill.
From the left side of the monument:
Present at Gettysburg 152.
Killed and died of wounds 16 men.
Wounded 6 officers and 31 men.
From the right side of the monument:
Total enrollment 1475.
Total loss 607.
From the rear of the monument:
Mustered in October 24, 1861.
Re-enlisted January 4, 1864.
Mustered out June 28, 1865.
Location of the monument to the 110th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg
The monument to the 110th Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg on De Trobriand Avenue. By car, take Ayers or Sickles Avenue to Cross Avenue, Brooke Avenue and De Trobriand Avenue – the last three are all the same one-way street that changes its name as it loops around south of The Wheatfield. (39°47’50.8″N 77°14’14.6″W)