DeTrobriand Avenue is named after Colonel Philippe Régis Denis de Keredern de Trobriand, who commanded a brigade of the 3rd Corps. The Avenue curves out of the Rose Woods (where it is called Brooke Avenue) and joins Sickles Avenue on the south end of the Wheatfield. This 26 acre field was owned by George Rose, and on July 2nd 1863 it became one of the bloodiest places in American history. Over 20,000 men fought in and around this field, and in three hours over 6,000 became casualties.
Select any icon on the map or item from the list below to see more