(39th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment)
The monument to the 10th Pennsylvania Reserves Regiment is south of Gettysburg at the base of Big Round Top on South Confederate Avenue. (Big Round Top tour map) It was dedicated in 1890 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The 10th Pennsylvania Reserves was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Adoniram J. Warner.
From the front of the monument:
10th Pennsylvania Reserves
39th Penna Infantry
3d Brigade 3d Division 5th Corps
July 2nd occupied this line
of stone fence and remained from
5 p.m. until the close of battle.
Present at Gettysburg: 29 officers, 392 men
Killed, 2 men Wounded 3 men Total 5.
From the right side of the monument:
Mustered in June 3 to July 3 1861
Mustered out June 11, 1864
Recruited in Warren, Crawford, Mercer,
Venango, Lawrence, Clarion, Beaver,
Washington and Somerset Counties.
Total enrollment 1150
Killed and died of wounds, 7 officers, 130 men, 137 total
Died of disease etc. 50 men, 50 total
Wounded 13 officers, 261 men, 274 total
Captured and missing 3 officers, 140 men, 143 total
Total casualties 604.
From the right side and rear of the monument:
2d Bull Run
See more on the history of the 10th Pennsylvania Reserves in the Civil War
Location of the monument to the 10th Pennsylvania Reserves at Gettysburg
The monument to the 10th Pennsylvania Reserves is south of Gettysburg at the base of Big Round Top where South Confederate Avenue becomes Sykes Avenue. South Confederate Avenue is one-way eastbound, and can only be entered by vehicles from Emmitsburg Road, although the monument is a short distance by foot from the Little Round Top area. (39°47’19.3″N 77°14’13.0″W)