(38th Pennsylvania Infantry)
The monument to the Ninth Pennsylvania Reserves is south of Gettysburg at the base of Little Round Top near the intersection of Warren and Sykes Avenues. (39.78965° N, 77.236965° W; Google map; Tour map: Little Round Top) It was dedicated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1890.
The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel James M. Snodgrass.
From the front of the monument:
9th Penna. Reserves
(38th Penna. Infantry)
3d Brig. 3d Div. 5th Corps
From the rear:
The Regiment arrived on the field July 2nd about 5 p.m. with 377 officers and men and soon after moved to this position and held it until the close of the battle with a loss of five wounded.
Recruited in the counties of Alleghany, Beaver and Crawford.
Mustered in State Service April & May 1861.
Mustered in U.S. Service July 258th 1861.
Mustered out May 12th 1864.
Total enrollment 1090
Killed and died of wounds 6 officers 108 men.
Died of disease & etc. 1 officer and 53 men.
Wounded 18 officers and 294 men
Captured or missing 2 officers 98 men
Total loss 572.
Charles City Cross Roads
2d Bull Run
See more on the 9th Pennsylvania Reserves in the Civil War