Union monuments at Gettysburg > New York > Artillery & Engineers


The monument to the 1st New York Light Artillery, Battery C is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Sedgwick Avenue. (39.796005° N, 77.234724° W; Tour map: Sedgwick AvenueGoogle maps to both monuments)

Monument to the 1st New York Light Artillery, Battery C at Gettysburg

Front and right side view of the monument to the 1st New York Light Artillery, Battery C at Gettysburg. The battery’s right flank marker is next to the cannon. The trees in the distance are the north slope of Little Round Top.

A marker on Howe Avenue shows the battery’s position on July 3rd. (39.783625° N, 77.228941° W; Tour map: Howe-Wright Avenues)

About the main monument to Battery C

The monument is a tapered shaft of Quincy granite standing 16′ 3″ tall. It is topped with a large Maltese Cross symbol of the Fifth Corps. A cicular bronze tablet of the Seal of the State of New York is on the front. Carvings of 3″ Ordnance Rifles are on the four corners of the bottom stage of the monument. It was dedicated on July 2nd, 1893 by the State of New York.

Battery C at Gettysburg

Battery C was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain Almont Barnes, a journalist from Watertown. It brought 88 men to the field serving four 3″ Ordnance Rifles. It arrived on the field on the afternooon of July 2nd and was positioned at the location of the main monument, then was moved to a reserve position behind Big Round Top shown by the War Department marker. The battery suffered no losses.

5th Corps Headquarters Flag

From the front of the monument:

Battery C  (Barnes’)
1st New York Light Artillery
5th Corps.

From the left side:

Held this position from about 4:30 p.m. July 2d
to 4 a.m. July 3rd, 1863.

From the right side:

On the morning of July 3rd transferred to
the left flank of Big Round Top.

Rear view of the monument to the 1st New York Light Artillery, Battery C at Gettysburg

Rear view of the monument to Battery C. The small pink monument behind the cannon is the monument to the 93rd Pennsylania Infantry. Farther to the rear on the other side of Sedgwick Avenue you can see the monument to the 7th Massachusetts Infantry, the 1st Massachusetts Cavalry, and on the far left 6th Corps commander John Sedgwick.

From the rear:

Engagements
Antietam to Appomattox

Marker for Battery C, 1st New York Artillery on Howe avenue at Gettysburg

Marker for Battery C, 1st New York Artillery on Howe avenue

From the War Department marker on Howe Avenue:

Battery C
1st New York Light Artillery
Four 3 Inch Rifles
Capt. Almont Barnes commanding.

July 3 At 3 a.m. moved to and occupied this position until the
close of the battle.

See more on Battery C, 1st New York Light Artillery in the Civil War