There are two monuments to the 93rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment on the Gettysburg battlefield, about 300 yards apart. The original monument on Sedgwick Avenue (Sedgwick Avenue tour map) was dedicated in 1884 by the surviving members of the regiment. It marks the starting point of the regiment’s advance on the evening of July 2 after its grueling march from Manchester, Maryland. In 1888 a larger monument was dedicated by the State of Pennsylvania north of Wheatfield Road along the driveway to the John Weickert farm. (Crawford Ave. & J. Weickert Farm tour map)
The 93rd Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Major John I. Nevin.
|Attached to the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac|
Monument at the John Weickert farm
From the front of the Weickert Farm monument:
93d Penna. Infantry.
3d Brigade, 3d Division, 6th Corps.
July 2nd & 3rd 1863.
From the left side:
After charging with the Brigade from the right of Little Round Top in the evening of July 2d and assisting in the repulse of the enemy and in the capture of a number of prisoners the regiment retired to and held this position until after the close of the battle
From the right side:
Present at Gettysburg 270 officers and men
Loss 1 officer and 9 men (1 mortally) wounded.
From the rear:
Organized at Lebanon as the Lebanon Infantry
Mustered in Oct. 28th. 1861
Re-enlisted January 1st. 1864
Mustered out June 27th. 1865
The monument is topped by the cross that is the symbol of the Union 6th Army Corps, and fronted by a brass plaque with the Seal of the State of Pennsylvania.
Location of the monument on the Weickert farm
The Weickert Farm monument to the 93rd Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg about 200 feet north of Wheatfield Road, on the east side of the J. Weickert farm driveway, which extends north from Crawford Avenue. (39°47’49.2″N 77°14’15.3″W)
Monument along Sedgwick Avenue
From the front of the Sedgwick Avenue monument:
3rd Brig. 93rd Reg’t Pa Vols.
July 2nd and 3rd 1884
Erected by the surviving members of the Regiment Oct. 30th 1864
From the rear of the monument:
93rd Regiment Penn. Volunteers formed line of battle at this point under the immediate direction of Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick, commander of the 6. Corps evening of July 2, 1863 and advanced against the enemy taking the position indicated by
monument at the foot of this hill where it remained until the close of battle.
Location of the Sedgwick Avenue monument
The Sedgwick Avenue monument to the 93rd Pennsylvania is south of Gettysburg about 100 feet west of
Sedgwick Avenue, across from General Sedgwick’s equestrian monument and 500 feet north of Wheatfield Road