(35th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment)
The monument to the 6th Pennsylvania Reserves is south of Gettysburg at The Wheatfield. (Crawford Ave. & J. Weickert Farm tour map) It was dedicated in 1890 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The 6th Pennsylvania Reserves Regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Wellington H. Ent.
Sergeant George W. Mears and Corporal Chester S. Furman of Company A, Sergeant John W. Hart and Corporal J. Levi Roush of Company D, Corporal Thaddeus S. Smith of Company E and Sergeant Wallace W. Johnson of Company G were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions on July 2nd as “six volunteers who charged upon a log house near the Devil’s Den, where a squad of the enemy’s sharpshooters were sheltered, and compelled their surrender.”
From the front of the monument:
6th Pennsylvania Reserves
1st Brigade 3d Division 5th Corps
From the left side of the monument:
July 2d in the evening charged from the hill in rear to this position and held it until the afternoon of July 3d when the brigade advanced through the woods to the front and left driving the enemy and capturing many prisoners
Dranesville Peninsula Campaign
Groveton 2d Bull Run South Mountain
Antietam Fredericksburg Gettysburg
Bristoe Station Rappahannock Station
Mine Run Wilderness Spotsylvania
North Anna Totopotomoy Bethesda Church
From the right side of the monument:
May 28 – June 11, 1861.
Mustered out June 11 1864.
Present at Gettysburg
25 officers and 355 men.
Killed and died of wounds 3 men.
Wounded 1 officer and 20 men.
From the rear of the monument:
Recruited in Bradford, Columbia, Dauphin, Tioga, Susquehana, Snyder, Wayne and Montgomery Counties.
Total enrollment 1050.
Killed and died of wounds, 2 officers 107 men.
Died of disease etc., 72 men.
Wounded, 19 officers 286 men.
Captured or missin, 2 officers 526 men.
Total casualties 549.