The monument to the 94th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is west of Gettysburg on Doubleday Avenue (Doubleday & Robinson Avenues tour map) directly across from the Doubleday Inn. It was dedicated in 1888 by the State of New York.
The 94th New York Infantry was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Adrian Rowe Root. He was wounded on July 1st, and Major Samuel Moffett took command. The regiment brought 445 men to the field and lost 12 men killed, 58 wounded and 175 captured or missing, most of whom were lost in the fighting on Oak Ridge and the retreat through the town on July 1.
||See Major Samuel A. Moffett’s Official Report on the 94th New York at Gettysburg|
From the front of the monument:
94th N.Y. Inf’ty.
1st Brig. 2nd Div. 1st Corps
July 1st 1863
From the left side of the monument::
Mustered into service
at Sackett’s Harbor, N.Y. Dec. 9, 1861.
105th N.Y. Inf’ty. Mustered into service
at Le Roy, N.Y. Mar. 21, 1862.
94th and 105th N.Y. Inf’ty. consolidated
as 94th. N.Y. Inf’ty. at White Oak Chapel, Va.
Mar. 18, 1863. Re-enlisted for the war as
94th N.Y. Veteran Inf’ty. at Annapolis, Md.
Jan. 20, 1864. Mustered out of service
at Ball’s Cross Roads, Va., July 18, 1865.
Casualties. 12 killed; 58 wounded and
175 captured or missing. Total: 245.
Dulce et decorum
est pro patria mori
Location of the monument to the 94th New York Infantry Regiment at Gettysburg
The position marker for the 94th New York is northwest of Gettysburg on the west side of Doubleday Avenue 0.25 mile south of Mummasburg Road and directly across from the Doubleday inn. (39°50’28.6″N 77°14’34.7″W)