The monument to the 68th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on Wainwright Avenue at the foot of East Cemetery Hill. (Wainwright Avenue tour map) It was dedicated in 1888 by the State of New York.
The 68th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Gotthilf Von Boury d’Ivernois. It brought 264 men to the field.
From the front of the monument:
68th New York Infantry
From the rear of the monument:
This regiment having participated in the first day of the battle, held this position on the 2nd and 3rd of July, 1863.
From the left side of the monument:
From the right side of the monument:
Mustered in at New York City, Aug. 24, 1861.
Mustered out at Fort Pulaski, Ga., Nov. 30, 1865.
Location of the 68th New York Infantry monument at Gettysburg
The monument to the 68th New York is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Wainwright Avenue about 270 yards north of Slocum Avenue. Wainwright Avenue is one way northbound. (39°49’18.9″N 77°13’39.5″W)