“De Kalb Regiment”
The monument to the 41st New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on Wainwright Avenue at the foot of East Cemetery Hill. (Wainwright Avenue tour map)
About the monument to the 41st New York
The monument is of Concord granite and stands just over twelve feet tall. On its front is a bronze arrangement of flags supporting the New York State Seal, created by sculptor Caspar Buberl, whose work is on a number of Gettysburg monuments. The regimental number is in relief on the top front of the monument and the crescent moon symbol of the Eleventh Army Corps is on the top rear. The monument was dedicated on July 3rd, 1893 by the State of New York.
The 41st New York at the Battle of Gettysburg
The 41st New York was commanded at the battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Heinrich Detleo Von Einsiedel while Colonel Leopold Von Gilsa commanded the brigade as senior colonel. It brought 218 men to the field.
The regiment was not involved in the fighting on July 1st with the rest of the Eleventh Corps. It had been left behind at Emmitsburg waiting for the return of Captain Clemens Knipschild of Company A, who had been detached with a sizable number of men to arrest civilians on the roads near the town. The 41st finally arrived in Gettysburg after dark, joining the rest of its brigade at Cemetery Hill.
|See Lt. Colonel Von Einsiedel’s Official Report for the 41st New York for the Battle of Gettysburg|
From the front of the monument:
41st N. Y. Infantry
1st Brig., 1st Div., 11th Corps
July 2, 3, 4, 1863
From the rear of the monument:
Killed 15, wounded 58, Missing 2
Total loss 75
Location of the monument
The monument to the 41st New York is south of Gettysburg on the west side of Wainwrght Avenue 180 yards north of Slocum Avenue.