The monument to the 108th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg near Hancock Avenue in Zeigler’s Grove. (Hancock Avenue at Ziegler’s Grove tour map) It was erected by the State of New York on September 4, 1888.
The granite monument is 11′ 6″ tall and is in the shape of the trefoil that is the symbol of the Second Army Corps. It shows a soldier of the 108th lying prone in support of an artillery battery during the great barrage before Pickett’s Charge, when the 108th lost most of its 50% casualties.
The 108th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel Francis E. Pierce, and suffered 102 casualties out of the 200 men engaged.
|Corporal William H. Raymond of Company A was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Gettysburg on July 3rd, when he “voluntarily and under a severe fire brought a box of ammunition to his comrades on the skirmish line.”|
From the front of the monument:
108th New York Infantry
2nd Brig. 3rd Div. 2nd Corps
From the rear:
108th N.Y. Inft’y
position July 2 and 3, 1863,
supporting Battery I, 1st U.S. Art.
During the artillery duel on the
afternoon of July 3, it
sustained a terrific fire
without being able to return a shot.
Number engaged 200.
Killed 16, wounded 86, Total 102.
During the charge the left of the Confederate line
lapped its front and came within 50 yards
of it before breaking. The 108th N.Y. Inft’y was
recruited and mustered into the service at
Rochester N.Y. Aug. 18, 1862.
It participated in all the battles of the 2nd Corps
from Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862, to the surrender
at Appomattox Apr. 9, 1865, having been actively
engaged 28 times.
Location of the 108th New York Infantry monument at Gettysburg
The monument to the 108th New York is south of Gettysburg about 20 yards east of Hancock Avenue and 70 yards south of the north end of Hancock Avenue at Cyclorama Drive. Hancock Avenue is one way northbound. (39°48’58.5″N 77°14’04.6″W)