The monument to the 2nd Company of Massachusetts Sharp Shooters is south of Gettysburg on the south side of the Loop of Sickles Avenue. (Sickles Ave. at the Rose Woods tour map)
Originally formed for Colonel Hiram Berdan’s sharpshooter regiments, the two companies of Massachusetts sharpshooters decided to remain as state troops when told that they would lose the state enlistment bounty by joining Berdan’s Federal regiments.
The two companies of Sharp Shooters were nominally independent, although each operated with a Massachusetts regiment. The 2nd Company operated with the 22nd Massachusetts Regiment.
About the monument
The monument shows a sharpshooter peering intently from behind a rough hewn stone. Generations of park visitors have wondered if his rifle barrel has been broken off. It has not. It was intentionally not extended beyond where it is.
From the monument
July 2nd 1863,
2nd Co. Andrew
Location of the monument
The monument is south of Gettysburg on the south side of the Loop of Sickles Avenue. (39°47’49.3″N 77°14’46.9″W)
See more on the history of the history of the 2nd Company of Massachusetts Sharp Shooters in the Civil War
The Massachusetts Andrew Sharpshooters: