“Henry Wilson’s Regiment”
The monument to the 22nd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Sickles Avenue. (Sickles Avene at the Rose Woods tour map)
The Monument to the 22nd Massachusetts Infantry Regiment
The granite monument stands about nine and a half feet high. It is a short rectangular shaft with fluted corners set on a rough-hewn base, with a large cap topped with the Greek cross symbol of the Fifth Corps. The State of Massachusetts dedicated the monument on October 8, 1885.
About the 22nd Massachusetts at Gettysburg
Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Sherwin commanded the regiment at the Battle of Gettysburg. Its colonel, William S. Tilton, was temporarily in command of the brigade since just after the Battle of Chancellorsville in early May.
The 22nd’s nickname came from the regiment’s first colonel, abolitionist Senator Henry Wilson.
The regiment had 137 men engaged (one source mentions “67 guns”) and lost 3 men killed, 27 wounded and 1 missing.
From around the top of the monument:
22nd Mass. Infty.
1st Brigade 1st Division 5th Corps
From the rear:
The 22nd Mass. Infty. stood here July 2, 1863
From the left side:
First Colonel Henry Wilson
succeeded by Jesse A. Gove
Killed June 27, 1862
Location of the monument to the 22nd Massachusetts Infantry
The monument to the 22nd Massachusetts is south of Gettysburg on the west side of the loop of Sickles Avenue in the Rose Woods. Sickles Avenue is one way north and westbound. (39°47’49.6″N 77°14’47.1″W)